I have always loved to make things. When we were children, my sister and I would get an idea and just go for it with any materials we had around the house. A large stack of printed inventory cardboard from my dad’s work kept us busy for years as we transformed it into such things as:
- Paper dolls
- Christmas tree ornaments
- A pair of open toed high heeled shoes!
Sometimes our ideas worked. Sometimes they didn’t. But the process was always fun and we never felt bad about our craft “fails.” Children embrace creativity so much easier than adults because they are not afraid to experiment, and there is no judging. They have not yet been exposed to the cruel jive of this world: (“We’ve always done it THIS way.” “That will never work!” “Did you use an approved vendor?”) Ha-Ha. Can you relate?
This week, when my sister, Dionne, came to visit, we were busy from sun up to sun down making stuff and recapturing our creative spirits. We had a blast!
Here are some of the things we created:
- Pom-Poms Headbands and earrings (inspired by The Richmond Art Center’s Skeletonfest workshop where we helped children make hundreds of fluffy pom-poms just for the fun of it)
- Duct tape wallets, earrings and ID cases
- Coloring sheets
- Cheap and cheerful party decor
- Spidery deviled eggs
- Halloween costumes
We called my downstairs studio the CRAFTHOLE and documented our pursuits on social media. Our week included three diy costume changes too!
- Dia de los muertos faces
- Corsets and sequins for Rocky Horror Picture show
- Freakshow outfits* (Tomorrow I will post a tutorial on how i made my parasitic twin costume.)
It was all so much fun and therapeutic! Making art is such a wonderful release that I try to do it every day. Here are a few of my favorite quotes about creating art as therapy. I find truth in all of these:
“It’s time to make art, my soul is hungry.” - Anonymous
“If your heart is broken, make art from the pieces.” - Shane Koyczan
“Art was made to overcome chaos.” -Don Jones
I would love for you to share any of your favorite quotes along the same theme. Leave them in the comments section!
Have a great week everybody! Go forth and make!